Saturday 6 July 2024

The winter African Garden and Fernery

I'm writing this on July 4, 2024.  My header photo today shows frost on the roof, something that doesn't happen very often.  The average number of frosts per winter, since I've been in NZ and sort of keeping track, is three to four, but I don't remember even one last year.  

Despite the frost, the day turned out to be beautiful. The temperature got up into the 60's.  It would have been a good day to go to a parade, or to ride on a float in such a parade, like Mary did. Instead, I wandered around and decided that a few shots of what the African Garden and Fernery look like would make a suitable post.    

I'm leaving the north end of the Atrium here. You can see the barrier put up around the scaffolding for the Palms remediation project. 


Since I'm walking right past it, I though I'd show Dianne and Kathie their room location. It's the one with the closed drapes, on what we call here the first floor.  (above the ground floor) 


  
It may be winter here, but plants keep to their own schedules.  





Our fernery. 




Our 'flock' has moved since the rebuilding has started.  



I have moved from the African Garden area to our central roundabout for a look at these birds of paradise flowers.  


Finally, to close this post off, a last look straight up.  I'll never get tired of palm trees.   -djf








4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the calm views of the scenery in your village. But I'm confused. Is the African Garden and Fernery two distinct areas or one? At any rate I like all the greenery and plants and look forward to seeing them in person from our 'hotel' room that you pointed out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are two, but are right next to one another. A sidewalk separates them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing now beautiful it is there in the winter. Always strange to see the signs of winter there in July. You are most fortunate to live in such a lovely place. Kathy and Dianne will have a great time I am sure. Love to all. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice here. I'd have a hard time going back to snow and sub-zero temps.

      Delete