Saturday 14 September 2024

Where shopping is an adventure

 "Give us this day, our daily bread."  

I think Jeanne and I have been singularly blessed.  We started off our married lives by spending four months in Spain. Then, during our earning years, we worked really hard for our daily bread, and truth be told, spent a good deal of time worrying about whether we'd have enough for our retirement.  As it turned out, our efforts were rewarded and we now find ourselves comfortable and once again living in a country far from home.  

One of the things that make living here in New Zealand an adventure, are the products for sale in the markets I frequent.  Jeanne is the gardener of the family, and I, the hunter, gatherer. (That means that I do most of the grocery shopping.)

Today's post will simply show you a few of the places I frequent as I gather our daily requirements. I'll start by showing you Daily Bread, in Point Chevalier. It's in an old bank building. 


I have one of their bags. 


I generally get a baguette and either a plain sour dough or what they call a 'seeded' sour dough.  



This is Da Hua. It was the first Asian market we found in Henderson and I still often shop here. 


Those are young coconuts that have a hole drilled in them and a straw attached.  


These dragon fruit look so exotic, I thought before I bought one, that their flavor would amaze me.  In fact, they are bland and therefore disappointing.  



I've talked about this stuff before, but not for a while.  This is coconut vinegar with spices added and is terrific.  



I often buy these cookies. There are lots of flavors.  The one I have at home right now is green tea.  Peanut and taro are my favorites though.  



I'll end with this one.  Salted egg yolks.  I'm not a fan of these. Actually, I don't quite know what to do with them, nor do I like the Glory cookies that are made from them. I'm showing them to you simply because I did find them very interesting and had to try a package.    


So, there it is.  A very quick look at a few stores that provide Jeanne and I with our groceries.  

See you next week.  -djf

4 comments:

  1. I love seeing pictures about your favorite daily shopping places. It makes me feel close to both of you as I learn about your lives there. I still have your recipe for Octopus and Potatoes that I hope to make some day. Mesquite NV will not have all the variety in shops, restaurants that Henderson has but St. George UT is a very diverse place so we'll have easy availability to that. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to use Google Maps to study St. George a bit. I already have been amazed at the scenery around your area. The rock colors and formations. It's like a wonderland, and you're in the middle of it all. And like you say, I feel closer to you guys too when I can see what you see.

      Delete
  2. I agree. Yes, St. George and Cedar City just north of it is beautiful. Check out Hurricane UT and Zion National Park which is not very far. Bryce Canyon is incredible also but we have not gone there yet. It's just amazing in it's own way. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete