Friday, 4 September 2026

Parrots and Palms and Psalms

I read that Karl Pilkington once said, "Parrots have gone a bit quiet since pirates have gone."  

Whether the lack of pirates in Henderson is the reason that I've never heard any of the parrots that have cruised past my place utter a single word, of if there's some other cause keeping these birds silent, but the bottom line is they all seem to me to be a bit standoffish. 

We've seen several pairs of them winging past our balcony over the years, and the occasional couple has even stopped off to inspect a few of our nicer palm trees,  Being of a neighborly sort, I tried to take a few pictures of them while they browsed through the foliage, but as soon as I stepped through the balcony's slider, they decamped.   

I think that the two I photographed today must have had their guard down, because I was able to get some pretty good shots.  

Here they are. First the trees, so you'll understand the setting, then we'll zoom in.  














The look on the face of the parrot in the picture just above is definitely of a friendly sort.  I think it took the attention I gave them with the camera in the right way. It's staying partially camouflaged, but looks as though, given a little more courage, it might inquire if there be any pirates about?      -djf

Oh, and I'm sorry about the psalms thing in the title. There aren't any. What with alliteration and rhyming, I got carried away.  

  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment