Wednesday 4 May 2016

Suburban, urban, maybe even urbane foraging

What a find, oh, what a find. If I had been mushroom hunting, this find would have been like discovering a mother lode of morels. If I had been searching for buried treasure, I would have just unearthed a gold doubloon. 

I couldn't be happier. This is definitely my best ever forage feast. 


I had never heard of this tree, nor this fruit before I saw it recently. I took a picture of this tree a couple of weeks ago and used it as the last picture of my April 28th post. At the time I shot the photo, I didn't realise that the fruits on this palm tree were edible, but walking past it again the other day, I caught just a hint of a sweet smell on the breeze. I bent over and picked up several fruits that had fallen and rolled near the sidewalk. As I walked toward home, I smelled one carefully and when it smelled wonderful, I hazarded a small nibble. The flavor was incomparable. Throwing caution to the wind, I ate three of them and hurried home to figure out what they were, and if I might have poisoned myself.  


It turns out that I had found a Butia capitata tree, also known as the jelly palm or wine palm. Not only are they not poisonous, they are delicious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butia

Once I read about it, I walked back and asked the lady of the house if I could buy some of the gold her palm tree was making. She couldn't quite imagine why I would want those things but gave me permission to harvest what I wanted. I did, and have just completed a batch of syrup. I brought the first bottle to my generous benefactor and owner of the tree. Actually, given my level of delight, I should probably refer to it as 'The Tree.'

Now, maybe you're thinking that it doesn't take much to thrill me and maybe that's true. But that just means that I am thrilled more often and I consider that a good thing. (and remember, you haven't put one of these little flavor bombs into your mouth)

Okay, enough talking. Here is a video and some photos to go with the text.





The fruit on the ground to the left of the tree has been there too long. The wasps and ants own that portion. 

Despite all the hiking around the area I have done, this is the only Butia capitata that I have come across. 


Standing this close, I am surrounded by a sweet, unusual smell.  


As soon as Allie smelled one, she said, "Red Bull. That's what they smell like." 
Today, I bought my first ever can of Red Bull and discovered that she was right, although in truth, Red Bull 'sort of' smells Like These, not the other way around.  
However, Red Bull tastes like chemicals.  I think these taste like a combination of lemon, orange, pineapple and vanilla. They are definitely one of the best things I've ever tasted. They are like the candy Sweet Tarts. Sweet and sour at the same time. 

The brown that you see inside the little split on the end is the seed. It's quite large and contains about 45 % oil by weight. My interest in foraging doesn't extend quite far enough for me to want to extract it.  
See that shiny bit near my thumb? This one is ready to burst with juice. 

They are made up of three parts. The rather large seed, a stringy pulp and lots of juice. When you bite one, you have to do so carefully to avoid the seed and breaking a molar, But as you do, you get a little explosion of juice. It's tart enough that you get that 'sour jaw cramp', but sweet enough to make the cramp worth it. They are addicting. 


 Into the pot the washed ones go with about an inch of water.  This tree is a native of Brazil. If I were a young man and owned a bit of land, I Know what I'd be planting on it. 

 A very nice color.  Allie called the syrup elegant (urbane foraging) and I think it is. It's very light and even with all the sugar that's in it, it retains a sort of tartness.
Jeanne is making crepes tomorrow. This will be spectacular on them.

Here is my urbane, tasteful treasure trove from the Butia Palm Sweet Tart Tree.
I'm also showing you some coasters that Allie brought us from Napier. The second and third from the left side show the Art Deco Masonic Hotel were they stayed.


This bunch is on the right side of the tree as seen from the sidewalk and is still too green to pick. You can be sure I'll be watching it and ask permission to pick yet again when they ripen up. I just hope the owners don't decide to start syrup production themselves.   


And here, since this post is about foraging, are the results of other expeditons. 

The olives are in. The olives in these three jars represent six trees spread across three neighborhoods. I considered asking for permission to pick a quantity from one of the best trees, but I just don't want that many. All of these were picked from branches hanging into the sidewalk or from underneath the tree, having just fallen.  One thing nice about fairly heavy downpours and brisk winds here is that they often work together to spread ripe fruits across the sidewalks. 

And yes, I am still soaking a batch of acorns. These were late season ones that I peeled the inner skins from. They are still just slightly bitter. I'm rather surprised it has taken this long, but I have read that American Indians often let them soak in water all winter. (I'm sure they are just fine now and would be eaten as is if we were living in the wild and needed the calories.)     

And I realized something. I had never considered soaking anything in water as a way to preserve it. I have changed the water nearly every day, and twice, I dumped all the acorns out into a colender and rinsed them very well. I then washed the bottle and put the acorns back in with fresh cold water.  I'm sure that if I had stored these acorns on a shelf, they would be rancid or dried out or both by now. I tasted one yesterday and it is still very crunchy, just like it was when I first harvested it. Interesting what you learn foraging.  -djf

















5 comments:

  1. I do not know what happened to my comment. I commented a little while ago. Anyway, I am just thrilled for you that you made this discovery. Your research skills are great to find the origin of the tree. The syrup color is gorgeous. I pray that the owners of the tree allow you to keep harvesting. I cannot believe how much fruit is on one tree. I would love to taste one. With your great description, I almost feel that I can taste them. Fred has only found one small morel to date. He will try again next week and see if they are up yet. No lilacs are blooming yet either. I am so glad that you have this wonderful syrup and olives for your winter coming soon. You truly hit the Fall foraging bonanza. Love to you all. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'd have made some maple syrup if I had been home, and I miss that, but this is a great substitute. I never in my wildest imaginings thought that I'd someday be harvesting fruit from a palm tree. Like Fred says, "Who knew?"

    Keep me posted on the morel search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O what a find, what a find indeed! Your description of this fruit makes it sound intoxicating with its deliciousness and in fact the Wikepedia information says that it is used to make liquor although I doubt you would be doing that in your kitchen anytime soon... hmmmm.. It is also called Pindo Palm and is the hardiest of feather palms and can grow in the coastal US as far north as New York! What a wealth of knowledge you can google up!

    Anyways, so while I was watching your video, I saw that you also made one of the ducks and Pukekos in the duck pond you featured a couple entries ago.. nice music there!

    okay then, back to the subject: did ever get feedback from the homeowner on whether she liked the syrup?

    I love your display of the big and little syrup jars with those coasters from Napier: very tasteful! now I'm also wondering about all the labor you put into those olives - I hope they come out as tasty as they look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On another one of our walks yesterday, Jeanne and I saw the lady who owns the tree as she was about to leave in her car. She thanked me for the syrup and said that she was making the family pancakes for Mothers' Day breakfast and would taste the syrup then. She told me to take more whenever I wanted them. Well, today is Mothers' Day and I have just returned home with slightly more than I picked the first time. They have been boiled and mashed and when they're cool enough to put in the straining bag, I will. I may freeze this batch of juice and decide what to do with it later.
      After the olives soak for a good three weeks or so, I'll dry them and pour sea salt all over them and let the salt cure them over another several weeks. They'll come out quite dark, and shriveled and salty. Many supermarkets have olive bars...if your's does, look for the smallest, black ones. They might be called salt-cured. That's what I'm after with mine.I've always found the ones in those olive bars to be a bit bitter though. That's why I'm soaking mine first, to remove the bitterness. It worked nicely last year. Jeanne liked the salt-cured ones better than my vinegar cured ones. I did too.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete