Thursday 7 May 2015

Bethell's beach has many surprises. On the far north end there is an amazing little wave pool that pulses with the rhythm of waves crashing into a distant crevice.

Jeanne and I had already spent a good three hours on O'Neil's Beach, located beyond a 30 foot high sand dune on Bethell's northern terminus. Returning to Bethell again, we decided to sit in the sand for a bit before completing the remaining 3/4 of a mile trek back to the carpark. As we relaxed, I heard a distant whummmppp.  It sounded as though it came from the rock just in front of me. A couple of seconds later, our own private wave pool formed from a crack in the rock I hadn't even noticed before. We sat mesmerized as the water repeatedly gushed out, spread, dispersed and then flowed back through a previously invisible channel.









I have got to go back there and watch this some more.These pictures were all taken when the tide was about 1/4 back from low-tide. I'd like to see how the water spurts out at high tide...new goal;  I'll get you some pictures. 

I also had to try to figure out what was happening here, because it appears from the beach that this rock in front of me is part of a fairly large headland. To understand how it could have a passage through it lead me to google maps and the satellite view.That solved the mystery.

The headland I'm talking about will be in the middle of the photo you will see at the site below. If you like, click on the 'map' logo (down in the left-hand corner) once you're on this page. That will simplify the satellite view and make it easier to see the headland with a large Y-shaped cleft in it. Then you can click on the + on the lower right hand side of the page to zoom in and click and drag to center the picture on the headland. (I think most of you know all about this stuff.)

Go here to see the map.
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Bethells+Beach/@-36.8885329,174.4618022,5658m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x6d0d6dbf9fbf1fff:0x500ef6143a2b650!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Clicking on the 'earth' box (lower left corner) will bring you back to the satellite view and you can zoom in all the way.  That's how the water finds it's way through to splash at our feet. Who knew?

In fact, if you zoom in all the way on the satellite photo, you'll see some water on the beach side, you'll see our little wave pool.  Ahhh, thank you google.

There is in fact a second passage through the headland that is much wider.  Look at the header image again. The second passage is roughly rectangular in shape, like a door, about 10 feet to the right of the narrow crack.  The photos below show a close-up of the opening and then a view down the length of it to the waves. It never did deliver a quantity of water like the narrow one does.  



What a place. Bethell's/O'neils has proven to be even more interesting than I originally believed. What other surprises does it hold I wonder?                     -djf

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing pictures. What a gorgeous place! Never assume I know how to do computer stuff. I found your direction very helpful and checked out the Google maps. I thank Google also. Google brings me into your world with a click of a mouse. It is just something. I loved seeing your pictures and commentary as the water rises and creates an wonderful gift for us to behold. I will look forward to other visual treasures that you share with us. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something new to learn and see every time you go there! This is such a fascinating place with endless adventures!

    ReplyDelete