Saturday 10 August 2024

Got your shades on? You might need them.

"Yes, I know I did...  Well, I understand how difficult it must be for you... No, I'm afraid not."

Sorry folks, I forgot to include the other end of this conversation. Read on...

"You showed sun pictures last time. I'm rather tired of them. So, you'll quit with all the sunrises?"

As you can gather, from the dialogue I've manufactured, I wonder if some of you may be a little frustrated to see bright yellow pictures again, because my last post also featured suns.  

This concern of mine about your opinion, I think, is actually a good thing. This small worry I'm experiencing means that my "worry box," is relatively small. My goal is to attain Ed's view of life. More about that at the end of this post. 

However, since it's my blog and it reflects my interests, I'm going to forge ahead regardless. You'll just have to bear with me. 

And today's sun pictures have a specific theme, other than just sunrise. So, tough it out, if you need to. Here we go with today's installment. 

As we all know, the sun's position on the horizon changes with the seasons. The Solstice and Equinox cycle progresses endlessly. Because we have had five fairly clear mornings in a row now, beyond our balcony, here in Henderson, New Zealand, I thought it would be fun to look carefully at how the sun moved through each 24 hour period. Actually, it accomplished each performance in only about 23 hours and 58 or 59 minutes, since it came up a minute or two earlier each day, according to Jeanne's phone's weather service.  

I took five pictures from the same position on our deck, and tried to get the same zoom and field of view. I did pretty well, I think.  It's easy to see exactly how the sun has moved from August 6th through August 10th, 2024.  With the last two shots, I shifted the field slightly. Otherwise, the sun would have been nudging the edge of the picture.  

You can see that it's moving to the right each day along the horizon. That means that it's moving toward the south. (And remember, because this is the Southern Hemisphere, as the sun rises, it moves to the left across our sky.)  

The 6th


The 7th

The 8th


The 9th


The 10th


Jeanne and I feel fortunate to live where we do in the Atrium building of Waitakere Gardens, the finest, we feel, retirement village in Aotearoa. We face the northeast and we're high enough to see great sunrises. Others in our village are treated to sunsets. On more than one occasion, a friend has emailed me, attaching photos of remarkable hue. I'm sure they too consider themselves fortunate to be a witness to such spectacles. 

I started this post with a bit of tongue-in-cheek discussion of my continued interest in sunrises. I think that most of you share my fascination with the event that 'starts' each of our days. I know I'll never tire of it. I hope you don't either.   

The worry box idea I talked about above comes from a short story, The Worry Box, by Pat McManus. I am and have always been, a huge fan of his. If you've never read his stories, you have missed hours upon hours of happiness.  

I have attached a link to guy reading the story on YouTube. If you have 15 minutes, give it a listen. You'll be introduced to the Ed I mentioned earlier.  See you next week.  -djf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK4qsuSGKr4

2 comments:

  1. I love the sequence of the sun marching more and more southerly in each picture! I'm sure you showed us pictures of the bare winter trees before but they seem more prominent in these pictures!

    Going to click link now to hear the worry box story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we're noticing that the trees are growing each year, so it's not surprising that you find them more prominent as well.

    ReplyDelete