Monday 6 April 2015

I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms from the statues that are in all the other museums. Steven Wright


Actually, this is the Auckland City Museum and it doesn't have any of those missing heads and arms that Steven talks about.

This museum is located about two blocks off Queen Street and is an easy walk from Britomart, the bus and train hub in the city.  I like it because it is free, and air conditioned, and has bathrooms that are nice enough to almost qualify as art themselves.  'Clean' falls far short as an appropriate adjective. They 'glisten.'  And they have hand towels of a superior sort.  I always pack a few extra into my back pocket, just in case I need them during a day of wandering the streets.

You know, when Jeanne and I come into the city and intend to spend six hours or so, window shopping, drinking coffee, exploring parks, drinking coffee, and having lunch and bubble tea, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea, knowing where the best bathrooms are located is a necessity. I have come to have a fairly extensive 'loo map' in my head.  

But I am getting side-tracked. This post is about the museum. 

Now, I know that the definition of a museum is a building or place where works of art or other items are kept and shown. Works of art are great, but I think I enjoy exploring the buildings that make up the museum as much or more than looking at what's on exhibit. 

So here are a few shots from the museum.

Out front...


One of the 'tunnels' leading away from the lobby.


Ground floor of one of the halls.  I think there were 4 floors and the roof. They were setting up for some sort of program.


The museum is located next to the south end of Prince Albert Park


I don't know exactly what those bubbles are up there though it's some sort of kid focused play area.


The roof boasts a continual bench; a permanent exhibit of some artist's work.  


The bench 'breaches,' carrying our eyes toward the Sky Tower a few blocks away.


The hillside next to the museum is very steep. From our vantage point on the roof, four stories up, we are just about even with the top of the park.  


As we leave the museum and head back toward Queen Street, we pass an unknown creature hiding among the trees. She was obviously shy so I pretended not to notice her.
               -djf














3 comments:

  1. This looks like a pretty interesting place to visit! I wonder if those mysterious bubbles are related to your bubble tea? or maybe they are Zorbs! I'd like to slide along on that continuous bench - but don't think I'd be able to navigate the loop-de-loops!

    Thanks for sharing such a cool adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I loved the sidetrack about the great loos of the world. When I was in London and Edinburgh, Scotland in 1989, I loved finding cool bathrooms. At the University of Scotland where I stayed, you had the "loo" in your dorm room. Then, the shower was in a literal closet off the hall corridor. The top and bottom were open and your middle was covered by the door as you showered. People could look at you walking down the corridor. Needless to say with me, I showered at about 3:00 am in the morning to avoid seeing anyone.

    Now at my age, I love it them more--enough said. I think this place is gorgeous. That bench is amazing. I bet the boys would try to navigate those loop d loops. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the museum, trees, streetscape, and the amazing bench!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete