Saturday 22 April 2017

Another Saturday morning in Auckland

One Saturday morning during Dianne's recent visit here, the ladies made plans to visit one of Auckland's two 'cat cafes.' Allie, Jeanne and the boys had visited the other cat cafe recently, the one on the north shore of Auckland and they pronounced it to be 'fun as.' This one is more restrictive. Children under ten are not allowed. (For an explanation of what constitutes a cat cafe, see: http://baristacatscafe.co.nz/about-us/

I came in to the city as well that day, but not to visit the cats. I dropped the ladies off, so to speak, and then walked around the wharf area until it was time to meet them again for lunch. Today's post will take you along on my ramblings and give you yet another little glimpse of life in Auckland. 


Here is the sign along Queen Street, directing you to take a right. 


You've got to want to go to this cafe. It's hidden away. 
Down the alley, 

Up some stairs, around the corner, up more stairs,


Around another corner, through what appears to be a high-security door,  

And finally, at the end of the corridor, the prize. 
These are probably the most well-protected cats in the city. 
I'm told that when you go in to the cafe, you are given the biographies of all 18 of the resident felines. 

But, time is wasting. I have only one hour to see, and to show you some sights, so let's go...


On Queen Street once again, looking toward the wharves, about a block and a half away. 


There are lots of new sky-scrapers in Auckland, but many historic buildings remain. 


 I understand that the Queens Cafe there on the 2nd floor (known as the first floor here) is a very high-class place. 


Maybe you recognise this place...in front of Britomart.



I'm looking through a window in the construction barrier (that white fence on the right in the picture above) of the excavation for the new rail lines. It will be tied into the current Britomart center.  (behind me) 
What the rail lines will be in the future. 


'Kitty'-corner from Britomart several street food vendors have set up, and are doing very well, by the looks of things. 

On the waterfront...We always stop here.
Jeanne and I have rested on these benches so many times. You can watch the ferry traffic come and go. Lots of human traffic too of course. But don't make the mistake of feeding the sparrows. Once you feed them, the seagulls take note and move in for their piece of the action.


A mooring bollard on the wharf. The scene in 1906 must have been very different than today.


Today, that bollard looks across to Prince's Wharf and the Hilton Hotel, which reportedly borrowed it's architectural style from a cruise ship. 
(BTW...their get-away package for two this weekend is a particularly good deal at only $759.00.) Yipes. 




I'm standing in front of the first bench that's shown in the 'On the waterfront' picture and I've turned to my right to take this picture. This is the Ferry Building. 


The wharf on the right is where many of the ferries tie up and passengers board/disembark. 
The little red boat you see in the foreground is a jet-boat that takes thrill-seekers around the harbour at high speed. It's well known for its habit of accelerating at maximum, then going into multiple 360 degree spins. Little wonder that all passengers get raincoats, life preservers and are securely wedged into their seats. Thanks, but no; I'll stick with the ferries. 



And here comes one of the ferries now. 


Having a Sky Tower in the city is almost as good as having a compass in your pocket. You can alway figure out where you are. 




I'm walking along Quay Street. (and BTW, note the bricks.). The cruise ships that come in to Auckland tie up along either Prince's or Queen's Wharf, depending on their size. Prince's Wharf is to my right. This morning it's clear that there are no cruise ships here. You can imagine the scene if there were a couple of thousand tourists on the loose.  There are lots of gift shops in this area. Honey, jade, sheep skins, shells, and hundreds of other things are available.  I wonder how much heavier the ship becomes at each port of call as the passengers haul back their treasures?


Well, the ladies have been petting and oohing and aahing at the cats for nearly an hour now. It's time for me to head back and assume my duties as a tour guide again. I take a right on to Queen Street by the Ferry Building.
I'm taking them to Burgerfuel. https://www.burgerfuel.com/nz
I have sometimes complained that most NZ sausages are not very good, in my opinion. I have no such complaints with Burgerfuel. Their food is pricey, but most food is in NZ, and their burgers are top notch.  

3 comments:

  1. You were so kind to leave the ladies and boys to their cat enjoyment. There is nothing worse than a impatient husband rolling his eyes as you squeal with delight at your latest enjoyment. I know from experience. I enjoyed seeing your alternative enjoyment. I also loved the baking powder biscuit in the photo. I just love these biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see all this, so interesting! Love it all! Thanks, Doug, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, so THAT's what you were doing while Jeanne and I were enjoying the sweet kitties at Barista Cats Café! And I really appreciate that you indulged me for more than an hour afterwards when I went souvenir shopping.

    The meal from BurgerFuel was HUGE and the quintessential Kiwi burger with both beets and fried egg. Quite a feast I must say!

    ReplyDelete