Saturday 13 May 2017

Going out on the town

Rotorua is not a big city. It has 57,800 residents, but it's a town that's easy to get around in. And, besides all it's natural beauty, it has lots that's man made.

This is the museum. Unfortunately, it was closed during our visit due to damage done during a recent earthquake. I don't think the damage was serious, but maybe there are safety concerns or clean up and repairs that are keeping it closed. 



This Mission Style swimming pool and social room was built in 1939, utilizing the thermal pools all around it as a source of hot water. It's located just across the bowling green from the museum. It has been restored recently and swimming is once again popular here in it's outdoor, but enclosed pool.  A little piece of history. This was a super-classy place in it's day. It was the First public pool in the world to allow men and women to swim together. 


Jeanne watches as Allie and the boys get ready to swim.



While the pool is heated, it is not as warm as the natually heated hot tubs that lie on either side of the main pool.  


Apparently, the boys didn't get quite enough water fun at the pool. Here, in the city park, they have been inserted into giant clear plastic balls and are floating around in a much smaller, and shallower plastic pool.  After we returned home, I asked Amiri what he enjoyed most about our three day vacation? This is what he said was the most fun. 


Our two athletes are planning their attack and strategies to be used in overcoming this inflatable obstacle course, also in the park. Shoes are not allowed of course.  


As you can see, the waterfront of Rotorua is closed off. It was due to the high water level. It's usually a couple of feet lower. The lake is miles across and in rough weather, it can develop some serious waves, hence the caution at the city park. 
This picture also shows Mokoio Island, which I also showed you in a previous post. This island is actually the rhyollite dome of the ancient volcano.  What is a rhyollite dome, you ask?

The picture below shows another rhyollite (lava) dome. This one is in Mt. St. Helens. 




This is evening on Eat Street in Rotorua. It's a block of restaurants with a roof over all of it to make the act of finding a restaurant or of eating your meal, even out on the side walk, to be comfortable in all weather. 
What will we choose? We'll wander, check out the menus displayed in front of each business and then decide, guided mostly by what our noses tell us. 
(sorry about the focus, my phone loses it in low light)



And we did decide. 

Many years ago, when Allie was just a kid, Jeanne tutored our friend Jones in Spanish. In return, Jones, who had lived in India for two years, invited us to dinner in her home several times and taught Jeanne Indian cooking. To this day, we enjoy it and often choose an Indian restaurant when we go out. Here, the family awaits our feast at the India Star restaurant. I can't decide if Arram's expression is saying, 'Grandpa, enough pictures already,' or 'I'm starving, When is the food coming?' Maybe a bit of both. 
BTW, the India Star won both the 'Outstanding Ethnic Restaurant' And the 'Rotorua Hospitality Award' in 2016.  I'm not surprised. Our dinner was excellent. 

BTW:
My suggestion is that you go out to an Indian restaurant some time if you have one available. You say you would like to but don't know what to order?  Here are some suggestions about what to have. Any Indian restaurant ought to offer these. 

If you want to try an appetizer, samosas are probably the most popular item. These are little flakey triangular pastries most commonly filled with a combination of some veggies.

For the main course, 
Allie says, try the chicken korma. "Everybody likes chicken korma".  
Jeanne says try the chicken 65, if they have it or can make it. This is spicey. This is sometimes not on the menu but every Indian chef knows about it. 
Amiri says, try the Allo Mattar. He adds that it's mild and anyone can eat it.
Arram says, try the butter chicken. That's also mild and a good starting point if you've never tried Indian food before. 
My suggestion is lamb vindaloo, which I order hot. It's also available with chicken or beef, in mild or medium.  
With any of these, you'll get rice and probably naan (bread). We like to ask to upgrade to garlic or garlic/cheese naan. This is a flat-bread that'll come to your table still warm. 

And, just like in a Chinese or Thai restaurant, you can share the choices around the table and learn about all the variety.  Your choice will be brought to you in a bowl that you ladle over your rice. Easy to share that way. 

If you have any room at all, and really, even if you're stuffed, order at least one serving of gulab jamun for dessert and share it. Don't let the unusual name put you off. This is balls of some kind of special dough about the size of a big donut hole that are covered by, and have absorbed, a wonderful, sweet, syrup. My description doesn't do it justice. You really need to try this at least once. You will be glad you did. 

We usually stick to just water to drink, but India's best selling beer is Kingfisher. I think that it's a light ale. The boys love a mango lassi. This is a large, very sweet combination of yogurt and fruit and whatever, blended together into a sort of smoothie. I notice that they are often served to kids before the meal or with it, but because of the sugar content, Allie prefers to treat them as a dessert. She is a wise mum who doesn't want the sugar to shut down the boys' appetites. 

Enjoy......djf





5 comments:

  1. I remember that museum and walking on its grounds and to the nearby lake with trails all through the sulfur spewed beachscape. Did you get to walk those trails again? Too bad the waterfront was closed. That was a pleasant area to sit and watch the black swans.

    I love all your recommendations for an Indian meal - is that what you all had at the Indian Star restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did walk them again, but some areas were closed due to the high water level of the lake.
      I don't remember what eveyone had that night, although I did have the vindaloo. I asked everyone as I wrote this post, what they would suggest to my readers, as a first Indian meal, and received the suggestions listed.

      Delete
  2. I can understand why the boys would love that water fun. It looks like a ball. I love Indian food but I do not eat it often. I have had lamb or chicken vindaloo. I loved it. Years ago, I went to a Sri Lanka curry house in south Minneapolis. I ordered my grill fish dish "medium" and it was the hottest thing I have every attempted to eat in my life. Believe me, I can take hot normally but this was really hot. You are brave to order the "hot". I would love that smoothie also but Allie is smart to have the boys have it as a dessert. Plus, it would be nice and cooling after a hot and spicy meal. Thanks for sharing the great pictures of your fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have asked about 'how hot' their food is in both Indian and Thai restaurants. I liked the answer I got from a Thai restaurant best. When I told her I wanted my food 'hot,' she asked, "Kiwi hot or Thai hot? "Kiwi hot," I said, and I found that it was just right. Hot enough to be interesting, and hot enough to leave the lip burn lingering for a couple of minutes after the meal, but not hot enough to cause real pain.
      My guess is that you got Indian medium which is off the scale to Americans.

      Delete
    2. You reminded me of something McKenzie. I once ordered 'som tum carrot' from the Thai restaurant in Menominee. This is a cold salad. I had ordered it for take-out and ordered it medium. I could only eat one bite of it at a time. It was incendiary. I vowed that I would go back to ordering "mild +" in the future. If I had ordered hot, I would have had to have been hospitalized I think. What fun.

      Delete