Wednesday 10 May 2017

"Life leaps like a geyser for those who drill through the rock of inertia." Allexis Carrel

The city of Rotorua is a good place to sit and contemplate the immensity of earth's natural forces. Oh, it's wonderful for doing all sorts of interesting things, don't get me wrong, but if you don't spend at least some time imagining what this area once was, I think you're missing out. And since Active geothermal sites are so numerous around the city, that you can hardly avoid tripping over them, (Heaven help you if you actually did) it's not too difficult to imagine what this world might have looked like here 240,000 years ago. And more recently too, since the last eruption happened only about 25,000 years ago. 

Here is a photo of the lake which shares it's name with the city. It is almost 31 square miles in area. After the eruption that happened 240,000 years ago, the magma chamber beneath the volcano collapsed and formed the caldera, which has now become Lake Rotorua. Over 1,544 square miles of land was covered by lava (ignimbrite) that blasted out of this volcano. 

Do you see what I mean about taking the time to ponder the event that was centered on the lake in the picture?  What this part of the world must have looked like at the time boggles my mind. 

Image result for lake rotorua photo


Today in Rotorua, we have the best of both worlds. We have the beauty of today's world all around us, and, tiny (relatively speaking)  reminders of its beginnings as well. 

This is a picture of part of the lake taken from a parking lot, showing Mokoia Island.  In this post, you'll see pictures of the two worlds mingled. The present and a hint of the past. 


 We're on the edge of the Lake, and as you can see, the subterranean places are still very hot. 


This is a thermal pond in the city park. In places the water is boiling. Around the cooler edges, algae of some species live. This is highly sulphured water. Maybe you can imagine the smell of the steam you see in the distance. Actually, you get used to it quickly. 




Crossing the bridge over the largest pond. BTW...I think the wood has turned dark due to the sulfur..the bridge, platforms, and railings around the thermal areas are all in very good shape. 



Standing here, I was wondering about how long after the cataclysm of the eruption it took before life began to return to this area? 

Two young, brave adventurers bask in the sun and steam.  What a reminder of the power down below us even yet. 


Some pools are down a ways and are thickish mud


Some are right at the surface and are watery. Look at the bubbles on this one.

Meanwhile, away from the hotspots, fall is coming on.


Our hotel this time is an older one. It may not boast all the amenities which the newer ones in town do, but it has One Thing that they Don't have. And that one thing is why Allie decided to stay here this time. And why we can't wait to get into our room.

The picture below was the first I took from our room on the 4th floor. We are so close that we can hear the steam hissing. And the mud boiling. 

Let me introduce you to the geyser Pohutu.



Take a closer look at it here:
(The voices you hear come from the tourists down on the boardwalks around it.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzRmOARp3Yk&t=8s

Next, let's focus on the mud pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0HA2Pet-BQ

Here's another look at the geyser without all the steam obscuring things. I've noticed that my camera has trouble maintaining focus, I think because of the steam. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l0HC1t-ID0

Finally, here is a panoramic view of the area at dawn. Steam is everywhere. I would have liked to really heat my coffee up and worked it's steam into the shot, but I just couldn't manage that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwwXNbN_9lY


Rotorua is one of those places that I'll never get tired of visiting.  I hope that you have enjoyed this look at it too     -djf

BTW- It costs $52.00 to walk the boardwalks that you see in the videos, and only for a limited time. Most people arrive on a tour bus and dash around while the bus waits. We got the view that we did with our hotel room.  I got up several times both nights and stood on the balcony and admired. I got my money's worth, believe me. What a place. What a place. 

5 comments:

  1. It is like another world. Absolutely stunning and still sort of scary in some respects I guess. I would definitely stay at that hotel. How lucky you all are to be able to experience such a treasure. The Fall colors are lovely also. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a comment yesterday but accidentally deleted it before publishing. So I'll try again:

    First, it's very nice to meet geyser Pohutu as I thought it's name was Tapuia. I especially enjoyed your video with the morning steam, fog, shadows, silhouettes, coffee all under brilliant sunshine!

    I wonder if there is someplace you can actually take a hot mud bath or have a sulfur-pond-algae facial for therapeutic purposes of course. I remember the enclosed pool in the city park where we all took off our shoes and enjoyed the naturally geo-heated water. Did you do that again this trip?

    Finally, I'm glad to see that you are getting some gorgeous fall color in the trees - the one you show with Jeanne in the foreground is the most brilliant one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Te Puia is the name of the Center for Maori Culture and Geothermal Wonders that owns the area of the Pohutu geyser. They have a very nice website. http://www.tepuia.com/

    Our hotel, in the past, offered 5 hotpools that could be rented by the half-hour. They were not available this time because their pump melted recently. I'm not aware that anyone is offering mudbaths, etc.

    The wading pools that we enjoyed last time were closed for renovation. We were disappointed.

    Thanks for your comments and questions.

    ReplyDelete