Friday 18 March 2016

The mystery at Kaitarakihi is a mystery no more!



Kaitarakihi Beach is one of our favourites. Many times Allie will say, "Let's go to Huia!" Where she actually intends to go is to this beach. Huia Beach is just beyond here, but it's right in the town of Huia and has very little appeal, compared with this little hidden bit of wonder.   

It's got gentle surf. On the right end of the head land in the center of the picture stands the Manukau Lighthouse that I have done posts on in the past. You'll see the lighthouse better in the next picture.

You can just make it out up there. 

There is our little troup relaxing on the beach. My apologies to the lady who was caught in an embarrasing posture. 

We're looking to the right side of the beach here. Beyond the nearest headland is the bay where Huia is located. You can see Paratae Island on the far left of this picture. Beyond that and around the corner is Whatipu. (Fah' tea poo)




This is a closer look at the right side of the beach. The mystery that Jeanne discovered lies about half way out on the beach. 

Here's another, slightly closer look at where we're going. The tide is going out.

Isn't that beautiful?

 We're almost out to the surprise. It's visible only at low tide.

This is a large rock that broke off the cliff side. Look at the layering. 

This shot is reminiscent of the tidal pool photos I showed you from Army Bay Beach but this is at Kaitarakihi. I include it here because it demonstrates how the layers of rock are worn away. 

 And here it is. The tide is low enough now to reveal some sort of fossils. I've done a little research, trying to determine what these are, but I've had no luck yet. As the years pass, these fossils will no doubt change as the layers disapper.
Arram is fond of singing, "Do, re, me, fos, sil, la, ti, do!" (He's a big fan of the song from The Sound of Music.)


Jeanne's finger gives some reference to the size.


Here's one last shot.
Since I wrote the text under the first fossil picture just above, I have discovered the 'Fossil Record Electronic Database' or FRED for short,which is an on-line listing and description of fossils all over New Zealand. I applied for admission and am now registered to use it. If I find a fossil site not already listed, I can even add it to the database and attach my name. (or Jeanne's)  
FRED informed me that the fossils we're looking at here include a Notocyathus worm, Crassostrea mangrove oysters (bivalves), Maoricolpus and Zeacolpus sea snails (gastropods) and the most exciting one of all, a Isurus hastalis, an extinct mako shark from the Eocene Epoch.
There are three more fossil sites listed for this beach and their approximate location shown on an inteactive map. I'm going to try to look them up. Two are on land and the other is farther out in the water than this site is and will only be visible at very low tide. That's the one I most want to find. What a kick that would be.  I hope to be able to show you more pictures on some future post. 
After our adventure with the fossils, I took a walk down to the far left side of the beach. This was the scene where I turned around. Look at all the layering in the cliff. 
Lots of fishing going on down here. I didn't see any catches though. They're after kahawai or snapper. 

Home again after another wonderful day at the beach.  This adventure took place in December of 2015.  -djf



6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous day to enjoy the beach! To think that those fossil treasures are only visible when the tide is low. That database is great for clarifying the origins of the fossil. Let us know what other ones that you find and where. I love to see your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up FRED just now and found it instantly by voice! I'm not only amazed that I can talk to my computer but also what a great site FRED is! I will explore it at my leisure..

    As always you give us wonderful scenery and educate us as well! And I love a good mystery too! Now you have a way to begin to solve them! In the first fossil picture where Jeanne is pointing, it looks like an anemone - aka that fancy worm thingy? are those structures that look like seaweed the shark bones you mentioned?

    I like the layering of the cliffs - looks like a perfectly laid block wall and steps.

    And finally I like your street sign - it's always good to get home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Dianne, I'm impressed that you looked up FRED. What an amazing informational world we live in, huh?

      Delete
  3. Interesting. Spend alot of time out there fishing. Didn't know about fossils there at all. Did find a paper nautillus shell out there. Video of find on youtube. search 'Darkmoon Angler' if interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment! I have started watching your videos. I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete