Tuesday 29 March 2016

Another trip to Muriwai

We made another trip out to Muriwai recently and took some great pictures and a video. I have plenty of pictures for a couple of posts. 

Today, I think I'll start with the gannet colony we saw that's located toward the south end of this magnificent beach. 

This is the season that gannets turn up at their yearly colonies, lay eggs, and raise their chicks. Muriwai is one of those colonies. Take a look at some pictures...

As you look over the railing on the first of the viewing platforms, this is what you see. 
This is an adult.


And here, in the center, is a juvenile, still rather downy, but already very large.
Gannets can live for up to 35 years. They dive for fish from up to 100 feet high and hit the water going up to 60 mph. 

Looking south. The first viewing platform I mentioned in the first photo is at the upper left of this photo. (We're on the second platform.)

This is looking north, from the first viewing platform again, looking toward, you guessed it, the second viewing platform.  
This is the first time I've tried a video on this camera. I think it turned out pretty well. I'll probably start to take videos more often and upload them first to You Tube, and then here. 




My next post will show you what (who) else was in the skies above Muriwai the day we visited.                              -djf










3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us back to Muriwai! I love this beach for it's cliffs and the gannets and the memories. Can't wait to see what else was in the skies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does have it all. Added to all that is a playground and a cafe that makes really good milk shakes. And, I haven't mentioned the sea cave.

    I haven't made it in to that one yet because there is water in front of the mouth of the cave and when I've been there in the past, I haven't wanted to wade through 4 foot deep water. One of these days though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds are just beautiful. I thought having the video brought a whole new perspective. To be able to hear the birds really brought it home. I am glad that they are peaceful birds and there is not a glimmer of "The Birds" in their lovely song.

    ReplyDelete