Saturday 6 February 2021

Mt. Albert really likes BBQ Noodles.

In fact, they like them so much, they have two restaurants with the same name in town. Both are called Mt. Albert BBQ Noodle House, and they're right next to each other. 

Well, to tell the truth, a special love of noodles by the townsfolk is not really quite the explanation for this unusual arrangement...  

I saw a little segment on TV about them some time ago and today, I thought I'd show you that clip. Those professionals do a much better job than I would at telling the story...
(Sorry about the re-direct notice and the rather long advertisement) 

I went to Mt. Albert today and saw that these two restaurants do in fact still exist, are right next to each other, and each even has its own little tent advertiser outside its front door. I love that.  
I thought that I'd step into each one, take a picture, and buy a pork bun. Do my own comparison you know.  Here's what I found...

This is the original




This is the cousin's.  



Here is a picture of the two pork buns I was given. The one on the left, smaller container, was from the original place. 
The one one the right, with the larger container, a fork and napkins, came from the cousin's. 

I tried each of them and found the fillings to be indistinguishable. Both were warmed nicely. However, the one on the right, the cousin's, was Much fresher. The dough was light and very nice. I was also impressed that I got a fork and a napkin. I would have preferred to get a knife, but the fork worked to tear them open.  




I've told you before that I like Mt. Albert. The two shots below show you what it looks like in opposite directions from what I think of as the main corner in town. 



You see, it's a pleasant, little, old-fashioned and comfortable sort of place.  Coffee shops and public restrooms are always close by, both of which I've been grateful for on occasion.  

And there's an attitude, reflected in the name of some of the shops here, that says, "It's extra nice here."  

I'll prove it to you.  Take a look.  



Hmmm.  You have to be a blissful customer to park here, huh?  
What if you're just a little down in the dumps when you arrive? Like maybe you have to go to the dentist when you've finished with your shopping?  Will they really tow your car?  
And how do they know if you are blissful enough or not?  I didn't see a greeter out front. Maybe they do it with a camera and measure your retinas. 
Maybe you ought to stop and have some Joy sushi before you come here. It might just be the thing that pushes your mood up enough to qualify, and to save you that towing fee.    
Me, I just had a double-shot flat white before I came and I think my retinas were wide open. I'm not sure if I was blissful at all or just wired. But they let me in regardless.  
(This is the place I found the dried sweet/salty plums that I thought might be similar to those that friend Lee wrote about in his book about growing up in Papua New Guinea.) 


I could have also stopped in at the place you see below and had my questions answered while I drank my tea. Or maybe the rule is one answer per pot of tea, I'm not sure.  






A little ways down the street I passed this great loquat tree and had a little snack.  These were extra juicy. 





My last stop in town was at this Asian market. It's a big one.  No durian though.  


I hope that you've enjoyed taking a look around Mt. Albert today. It always doubles my pleasure in exploring when I know that others will share it with me later.  

Just think. Double the noodles, and Joy, and Bliss, and the Answer.  Mt. Albert has it all.  -djf



7 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Never would expect BBQ noodles to look like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, maybe a pork bun is not the noodles then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have a wide variety of menu items and I like the pork buns because they're small, cheap, and easier to eat than a big bowl of noodles with meat and soup and all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Especially your insight and research on the double BBQ noodle houses! I'm wondering if they compete with each other - or share? Thanks for this delightfully blissful and joyful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing the comparison. My first thought was that the one was more techie and the other more traditional with the pictures on the wall. Was there a difference in cost of the two places? I am not good at eating noodles in public also so I would go for the pork bun! It looks so good. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No difference in price.
      I was surprised to see the half logs on the wall in the first place. I didn't expect that sort of look in a noodle place. I think both places are quite traditional.

      Delete