Wednesday 24 February 2021

Bedtime for the birds

One of the things I like most about being retired is that I have time to myself. Well, more time anyway. (Jeanne still makes lists for me)  I always loved my Sundays during my working years because I'd be able to go out to the land in the afternoon and spend some quality time. I'd think about all sorts of things out there as I worked on making or maintaining my trails, my blinds, or some other woods-related project.  

With more time on my hands these days I can sit and watch nature going about its business just about as much as I want. And here in New Zealand, birds are the most prominent part of nature in my opinion, and I find myself learning things about them.  

Today, I want to tell you something I seem to have learned about house sparrows. I say seem, because I have so far observed and documented the bed-time habits of just one bird. Any researcher would tell you that a doing a study based on one subject comes up very, very short. Still, I'm not a real researcher. I'm just an old guy sitting on his balcony, up just below the canopy of some palm trees, who watches. (I once wrote a story called The Watcher, and I'm still at it.)

I guess I should have said that I want to tell you something I seem to have learned about a certain house sparrow, and from that knowledge, I have formed a hypothesis of what house sparrows might generally do before nodding off for the night.  

Before I get into my story though, let me show you a short video that we came across shortly after we arrived in New Zealand. The boys loved watching this at bedtime when they were very small. My story today is about watching a bird go to bed so this is the perfect vehicle to get you into the proper mood.  Take a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbyor0SvdI


Ever since we arrived here in Waitakere Gardens, Jeanne and I have observed house sparrows flitting in and out of the palms that stand in our circle drive. A couple of the trees are no more than 20 or 30 feet away from our balcony so we have a ring-side seats.  We have also seen the sparrows returning to the trees at dusk but didn't notice at first what happened next.  

Well, we started watching more closely, and one night, Jeanne told me that she had seen a bird hop down and disappear into the tree. She said she was sure it hadn't just jumped off the backside of the tree and flown away somewhere.  This was something I had seen as well and my pictures today, will show you what we've watched so far. Unfortunately, our bird friend jumped down on the side of the tree facing away from my camera.  

Here is my subject, just arrived at home. 



He looks tired out and rather frazzled. (Probably thinking TGIF...it is Friday, btw) 



He has hopped around the tree a bit and has been sitting on his present perch for about 5 minutes now. That's a long time for a little fast-living bird to sit still.  I think he's winding down.  






He's look plumper, don't you think?





He has apparently 'put on his pajamas' and is insulated against the cool night temperatures.  





A couple of minutes later, he hopped off his platform and we assume, nestled into some little hollow for the night.  



Ladies and gentlemen; I took the pictures and wrote the text you've just read on Friday, Feb. 19, 2021.  The following was recorded and written on Monday, Feb. 22, 2021. You're going to see that our supposition regarding the house sparrow was correct. Three subjects made up the study group tonight. (Boy are we getting scientific now! Research paper here I come.) 

Here is our first subject arriving home.




A closer look.





It hopped all over  that frond and studied all areas of the tree below it.  



It is making it's way down to a hollow...



Closer to its objective. 



And it's in! But look, while it hopped into its bedchamber, another bird has arrived above it. 




The 2nd bird soon hops over to the left. Look at the angle of its head as it considers whether a spot behind the frond looks inviting. 



I think it likes what it sees. Look at how fluffed-up it is in anticipation. 





A moment later, it has hopped into its bed behind the frond. 





Meanwhile, our first bird has snuggled down into his bed as far as he can possibly go.  



While these two birds have been keeping our attention, a third bird has also found its spot, higher up on the tree and on the very right side.   


Already looks sleepy.....goodnight bird.  


I'm very pleased that our hypothesis has been proven correct.  
I hope you have enjoyed this look into bedtime for the birds...Goodnight to all of you.     -djf


6 comments:

  1. Those birds are so well camouflaged I wouldn't have known they were even in some of these pictures! Your new camera does a nice job of focusing in on them and I'm betting they're all family or they might not have roosted so close to each other.

    I had read an article from the Cornell ornithology lab about how some small birds cuddle up together to survive the frigid winter nights back here in North America but it looks like these little guys have got it made in the shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these pictures! I was afraid that you would miss seeing the birds when you left your old house. Now, I see that you have a ring side view of your new bird family. What a blessing! Enjoy your new place and love to all. McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks McKenzie.
      Change always makes for interesting discoveries. I'm sure you're finding that so as well.

      Delete
  3. How amazing and beautiful to observe these little sweetie birds!

    ReplyDelete